Working with the DRONE

I started working with the DRONE controller software again.  Here’s a picture of the DRONE,

DRONE Vehicle

DRONE Vehicle

Had a bit of an issue determining the IP address of the controller but no worries, Wireshark to the rescue!  I set Wireshark to probe the network looking for DHCP packets and read the IP address out of the DHCP offer.  I’ve been meaning to port my poor mans Zeroconf from Python to C so maybe I’ll take another look at doing that tonight.  Makes having to deal with determining IP addresses much easier and less of a hassle than setting up a real Zeroconf server.

Had another issue with calls to the SPI API causing segmentation faults.  Turns out it was a bug in the kernel on the controller so I updated to a new kernel from the vendor and it’s working fine now.  Tomorrow I plan on throwing this guy in the test tank and running it around a bit.  I might post some video if everything goes well.